Shatter Proof
Shatterproof is my new blog for 2007. 2006 was the year of the Jo. 2007 is about that solid core inside me that keeps me from shattering completely. 2007 is about God, and the transformation of me and my life I hope for in Him. Welcome readers, old and new, to Shatterproof
Monday, January 01, 2007
Beaten by the stick of your past
Do you ever think that your past is never going to leave you alone? You may try to let go, move on, transform, but your past never quite seems to let you go.

Christmas - or any prolonged time spent with your family - is when your past comes back to haunt you. Things you don't even remember get dragged up time and time again. How can I move on when others cannot let me go? I truly believe that I'm letting go, moving on, and my past is haunting me less and less, is not holding me back from being the person I'm meant to be.

But every time I see my family, things get dragged up. I'm never going to stop my grandparents from this - they're getting on and Grandma is starting to lose her memory a little, so will never change.

You know, there's a fear I have of bringing a man into my life. Into my past... It terrifies me, this thought that I will never be able to move on, to let my past be just that - my past.

But...
There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off. Listen, my son, and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path.
Proverbs 23:18-19 (NIV)

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future.
Ecclesiastes 7:13-14 (NIV)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
Jeremiah 29:11-12 (NIV)
Update

Susan at Celadon Pool posted these verses, which are good for me to hear today:
This is what the Lord says,...
"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."
Isaiah Chapter 43, verses 16, 18 and 19

posted by Calia77 @ 12:30 am  
2 Comments:
  • At 8:03 pm, Blogger Aphra said…

    Just think about Ian meeting Toula's family. If he can manage that (though it was fictional), I'm sure your guy can manage your family!
    And really, my husband sleeps through most of Christmas at my folks place, so it's never been an issue.

     
  • At 5:08 am, Blogger Pam Hogeweide said…

    your post today is like a drink of cold water to this thirsty woman. thank you, and happy new year...here's to the present and the future; our past does not own us...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Recommended blogs or websites
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER