Shatter Proof
Shatterproof is my new blog for 2007. 2006 was the year of the Jo. 2007 is about that solid core inside me that keeps me from shattering completely. 2007 is about God, and the transformation of me and my life I hope for in Him. Welcome readers, old and new, to Shatterproof
Thursday, January 04, 2007
Cricket
Today I have been learning about cricket. OK, I should have been working, but when a colleague is prepared to sit there and draw you very simple - very amusing! - diagrams to explain bowling, batting and running, you just need to sit back and enjoy the show.

So I know know what a wicket is: it's the patch in the middle of the field where the batsmen stand at each end by the wickets (also known as stumps, because there are just too many wickets!)

A delivery is basically a bowl. The bowler bowls the ball - the delivery - and the batsman needs to hit it. If he hits it outside the boundary he scores a 6, if it bounces first a 4. If he thinks it's not going to go out, he needs to run (as does batsman number 2), and get back to his wicket - stump - before the ball gets back. If he runs, he can't score more than 4 (if the ball bounces within the boundary). If the ball hits the stumps, he's out. And the other team (the fielding team) have gained a wicket! See, I told you there were too many wickets.

Then of course you have overs and innings! An over consists of 6 deliveries (bowls), and an innings is effectively a teams 'turn' at batting. In a one-day match each team gets to bowl a maximum of 50 overs (that's 300 deliveries), and after each over they swap ends, so the other batsman gets a go. Unless of course there's been lots of running and it could be the same batsman!

There always have to be 2 batsmen at the wicket, and there are 10 wickets per team - 11 batsmen, though, because there has to be 2 at each wicket.

Next I get to learn about five-day test matches. And perhaps can learn about terms such as some more 'lingo', such as googling (which I did in order to find that term!), popping and what on earth the crease is!

And then, if I'm ever in a pub and a young, good-looking, Christian guy who's into cricket happens to sit at my table, I can impress him with my outstanding knowledge of the beautiful game.
posted by Calia77 @ 10:43 pm  
1 Comments:
  • At 2:48 am, Blogger Aphra said…

    Well, I guess it is important to be prepared in all things. I can't say I understand anything about cricket, though my dad watches it often. And after reading your post, I'm still pretty foggy, but I guess I'm not so motivated!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Recommended blogs or websites
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER