Shatter Proof
Shatterproof is my new blog for 2007. 2006 was the year of the Jo. 2007 is about that solid core inside me that keeps me from shattering completely. 2007 is about God, and the transformation of me and my life I hope for in Him. Welcome readers, old and new, to Shatterproof
Friday, February 09, 2007
God's in control - even at a singles' night!

Tomorrow night I'm going to a Christian singles evening. I'm not quite sure why. And I'm not quite sure what I'm going to make of it!

OK, I tell a wee porky here - I'm going to meet guys. There. It's out there. I've said it. I am sad and desperate!

The truth is, though, I'm not sure what to make of it. It's been a while since a guy's been interested in me, and I still hold a certain amount of self-doubt about myself to think that a guy is going to be interested in meeting me. I mean, I say to myself, what have I got to offer? What can I talk about? I'm not up-to-date on current affairs, I'm not interested in politics, celebrity culture. I don't watch TV at the moment, and my job is an administrator - I supposed I could talk about proof-reading, editing and booking meetings. But that's not exactly interesting.

I guess a certain amount of what I'm feeling is about the fact that I can't actually see myself being interested in anyone I might meet there. I have an unhealthy dose of cynicism about it - and that's not a good thing. Fear and disinterest all mixed up in the confusion about God's will.

Do I need to hunt down a man (and if you hunt too well you get a kill - and a dead man isn't a good idea!), or do I need to watch and wait for what God brings into my life through the things I do. There's still a big part of me that thinks I need to wait. What for? Who for? For S? I'm not sure. Tiny little things are happening with S - and I mean tiny! So what do I do?

I guess I don't want to be subjected to the questions - why am I still single at nearly 30? Why haven't I dated much? Why have I not followed God's will (which is a major teaching at the moment in this group, thanks to a book by Debbie Maken called Getting Serious About Getting Married). I'm still single because only 1 person has ever asked me - and I decided (eventually) that I wanted more that life without him could offer. And I still believe that was the right decision.

The fact that I could have been married at 22 is quite scary. I'm nearly 30 and barely feel ready enough to approach a relationship with that end in mind. How could I have done so at 21? Would I have been just another statistic - a single mum with an ex around. Possible still living in North Devon, hating my life. I may think that there's something missing in my life now, but there's a lot less than there was then. Now I have a stronger relationship with God. Maybe the time is getting nearer to being right.

At 21 I was too young.

22 having too much of a 'good time' - a good time by society's standards.

At 23 I was nearing a breakdown.

At 24 I broke.

25 I started the healing process.

26 was a continuation of that.

As was 27.

28 was a year of attack - in preparation for 29, the year of all change.

So... what will 30 bring? I don't know. But actually, when I'm in an 'up' mood, I'm happy with being single - because I know that God is in charge no matter what.

And you know... He'll still be in charge tomorrow night. So what am I worried about? I just need to put on a dress, do up my face, and 'Hello world! Here's Jo!'

posted by Calia77 @ 4:10 pm  
1 Comments:
  • At 11:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    May I offer some words of wisdom from someone who has screwed up her love life but learned a lot in the process?

    1. You are still young. I know at your age you feel old, but I when you are, lets say 42, you will be AMAZED at how young you STILL are. You have plenty of time ahead of you. I know you don't want to hear it (I never did) but you don't shrivel up and turn into a prude at age 30. Trust me - life gets better as you gain wisdom that only comes from being around for years and years. And considering how smart/wise you already are - you're going to be full of it (wisdom that is).

    2. When you meet a guy there is only one subject you need to focus on: HIM. Ask him questions, be interested in his answers, and ask more questions based on his answers. Next thing you know he's feeling great talking to you and thinks "this is a woman I want to know better......"

    Of course if he's a jerk and doesn't ask a single question about you that could be a sign of arrogance.


    Good luck, let us know how it goes!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Recommended blogs or websites
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER