Shatter Proof
Shatterproof is my new blog for 2007. 2006 was the year of the Jo. 2007 is about that solid core inside me that keeps me from shattering completely. 2007 is about God, and the transformation of me and my life I hope for in Him. Welcome readers, old and new, to Shatterproof
Saturday, June 30, 2007
Boy, 14, stabbed to death 'for wrong look'
A popular 14-year-old boy was stabbed to death in a north London street after being set upon by a group of youths for "looking at someone the wrong way" in the latest in a string of fatal attacks on teenagers in the capital.
Who'd be a kid nowadays? I know this makes me sound ancient (and to be honest, the kids at youth group think I am!), but it wasn't like this when I was a teenager. OK, so I grew up in the country, but still. My friend who grew up in this area says the same: kids have got it so tough nowadays.

Why is this? Why does the wrong look cause one kid to start on another? Why do the clothes you wear mean you could get beaten - to death - by your peers? Sure kids used to fight, but when did guns and knives become the norm? OK, reading Run Baby Run might disprove my case here completely, but things have changed.

I look at the kids who come to youth group on Friday night. I have to admit - they do my head in most of the time! Year 6 have just started coming and they're hyperactive little wotsits who wind one another up, pick on and bully one another. And I don't know how to talk to them. I'd just got used to the lot that were there and now there are another 20 new kids to get to know. I'm not sure I'm cut out for this.

But... every so often I seem underneath. I see the vulnerable boy underneath the ADHD. I see the self-consciousness underneath the bravado. And I see that some of them are good kids. Some of them aren't.

And then I find out that one or two of the kids there this evening went to school with this kid who was killed because he looked at another kid the wrong way, and my heart breaks for kids growing up today.

What hope do they have?
posted by Calia77 @ 1:09 pm  
1 Comments:
  • At 7:20 pm, Blogger Bar L. said…

    extremely disturbing and sad...I don't understand the anger and lack of respect for life that some people have...and these are teens! what will they be like as they get older and more cynical?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Recommended blogs or websites
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER