Shatter Proof
Shatterproof is my new blog for 2007. 2006 was the year of the Jo. 2007 is about that solid core inside me that keeps me from shattering completely. 2007 is about God, and the transformation of me and my life I hope for in Him. Welcome readers, old and new, to Shatterproof
Friday, January 05, 2007
Waiting patiently
Living the Moment to the Fullest

Patience is a hard discipline. It is not just waiting until something happens over which we have no control: the arrival of the bus, the end of the rain, the return of a friend, the resolution of a conflict. Patience is not a waiting passivity until someone else does something. Patience asks us to live the moment to the fullest, to be completely present to the moment, to taste the here and now, to be where we are. When we are impatient we try to get away from where we are. We behave as if the real thing will happen tomorrow, later and somewhere else. Let's be patient and trust that the treasure we look for is hidden in the ground on which we stand.
Henri Nouwen Society
Words I need to hear as I struggle with my resolution to give up the chase for S, stop hunting for a husband and leave it to God. I'm not very good with patience. Mainly because I see it as waiting, and waiting as part of that stillness I'm not very good at.

But God's patience is active. There's a book a friend once sent me: What's a girl to do?: while waiting for Mr Right. I can't just spend my life waiting. I need to get on with my life, my ministries, God's work. I need to be independent in myself - but dependent on God. Today we had a conversation about re-wiring a plug. I made one of the guys I sit near laugh when I said I had a tool box. Yes, I can re-wire a plug, change a fuse, a lightbulb, put up shelves (OK they don't stay up, but that's not the point), and am a dab hand with polyfilla. But this is independence because of necessity, not choice. If it was my choice - I would be married. But I'm not. So I have to get on with my life. Waiting actively. Not obsessing, though.

And of course, this doesn't mean that I have to avoid places where eligible men might be! That's
just taking it too far!

So here's to waiting actively patiently! This is going to be a tough one!
posted by Calia77 @ 8:27 pm  
1 Comments:
  • At 10:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am with ya, sista, but I am wayyyyyy older than you. It's not easy to wait, but it's important to be active while we do.

    Going places where men are is part of the active patience - isn't it?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Recommended blogs or websites
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER